Cancer is difficult. From the moment of diagnosis, through difficult treatments, often excruciating side effects, and an uncertain future, the toll can be devastating to body, mind, and spirit. Patients may start to believe themselves to be weak, overwhelmed, and not up to the work of recovery. A downward spiral in well-being often results.
Dr. Robert H. Schullers, Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do is an amazing book. In it Schuller reveals that we have the ability to overcome problems. “Its our beliefs about and our approach to problems that really matters,” he says.
Here are 25 inspirational promises from the book. Cling to these. Let them be seated deep within your spirit when the tough times come:
- There is no substitute for deep abiding faith. If we hold on, we will win out! Unquestionably the profound faith and the beautiful providence of God produce a strong and unquenchable optimistic mental attitude.
- There is not necessarily a solution for every problem; however, every problem can be managed positively.
- People who win over tough times are people who never stop believing. They have faith in themselves and their Lord and in the ideas that God gives them. These winners, survivors, pray for Gods guidance and when they know what it is they have to do, then they take action.
- A problem-free life is an illusion – a mirage in the desert. It is a dangerously deceptive perception, which can mislead, blind, and distract.
- To pursue a problem-free life is to run after an elusive fantasy; it is a waste of mental and physical energies.
- Every mountain has a peak. Every valley has its low point. Life has its ups and downs, its peaks and its valleys. No one is up all the time, nor are we down all the time. Problems do end. They do go away. They are all resolved in time.
- History teaches us that every problem has a life span. No problem is permanent.
- Every problem holds positive possibilities.
- You may not be able to control the times, but you can compose your response. You can turn your pain into profanity – or into poetry. The choice is up to you. You may not have chosen your tough time, but you can choose how you will react to it.
- When you control your reaction to the seemingly uncontrollable problems of life, then, in fact, you do control the problems effect on you.
- Your reaction to the problem is the last word! Thats the bottom line. What will you let this problem do to you? It can make you tender or tough. It can make you better or bitter. It all depends on you.
- Dont underestimate a problem – or your potential power to cope with it creatively.
- We have the power to make any problem better or worse. We do this when we react positively or negatively.
- The Bible says God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. That means when you surrender to fears, you can be sure the fears did not come from God.
- Let faith be in control of every decision you make and every action you take.
- When you look at your life and where its headed, ask yourself these questions. Whos in charge? Whos in control? To whom have I surrendered leadership?
- Surrender leadership to faith. Surrender leadership to God. Let him be in control of your life.
- All it takes is one idea to solve an impossible problem.
- Faith is indeed the greatest miracle-working power imaginable. Faith never fails a person; we fail when we give up on our faith.
- Hold a mental picture, and it will unquestionable, invariably turn into a physical reality.
- God guides praying people through tough times until the beautiful breakthrough finally comes.
- Prayer is the umbilical cord that allows you-with your embryonic ideas-to draw nourishment from a source that you like an inborn infant can neither see nor fully know or comprehend – God our heavenly Father! Prayer is the power that pulls everything together successfully.
- In difficult times, people too often lose the ability to face the future optimistically. They begin to think about their tomorrows negatively. They forget that tough times will pass.
- Persevere, dont give up. Tough times never last, but tough people do.
- If God is for us, who can be against us” (Roman 8: 31). That is the ultimate secret of becoming tough enough to face the toughest battle and win! Only then can you be sure that your life will prove the truth of the title of this book.